So, this Meme has been going around twitter and although I have not been officially nominated by name, I have taken the invitations from Bill Ferriter @plugsin, Pernille Ripp @pernilleripp, and others to participate in this endeavor to share more about myself as a person. I have read many posts by some of my favorite bloggers: Bill Ferriter's Homework Meme, Pernille Ripp's Homework Meme, Josh Stumpenhorst's Homework Meme, Brett Clark's Homework Meme and I know there are many more. After reading these, I felt the urge to share and be a part of this process because I am all about reflection and building connections with other educators. Here is Bill's "nomination":
INSERT YOUR NAME HERE. (Everyone should show us their human side, y'all. Jump in the Memestream and let us get to know you better.)
Here are the 11 random facts about Kristen Beck:
- My husband and I find Seinfeld quotes that apply to our lives EVERY Day, and we finish each others sentences using the same quote... SICK!
- The #NWP - Writing Project changed my life as an educator way back in 1992 in my second year of teaching. That is when I became a teacher of critical thinking. That is also when I built my first personal learning network - it was old fashioned, but it worked the same as my twitter and online PLN!
- I often cry when I speak of my students to others. They make an imprint on my heart.
- I received a sports scholarship for SAILING to a top ranked school, but did not go because I would have been sailing with all of the people I grew up sailing with at home.
- I have gone cubing (riding on huge cubes of ice) on the 6th fairway of Pebble Beach Golf Course just for fun... I also rode on cafeteria trays on the steep hills of Spyglass Hills Golf Course after a soaking rain, the spoils of growing up in Pebble Beach. (The irony is that my husband is a golf course superintendent...)
- I miss my father so much that it hurts, but I am so happy that he is in a better place, and I know that he is with me EVERYDAY.
- I traveled to Nanaimo, British Columbia to bungy jump off of a 4oo ft bridge and I chickened out.
- I am a homebody, I love hanging out with my hubby and my 8 year old son on our 7.5 acres, working the land.
- I met my husband at a Halloween party and I had garbage taped all over me.
- I have perfect pitch which makes watching American Idol tryouts PAINFUL!
- In college my friends often encouraged me to go into teaching and I would laugh at them and say, "I don't want to be poor the rest of my life". Then I realized it is not about the money, it is about passion and loving what you do.
I am now going to answer a mixture of questions provided by Bill, Josh, Pernille and Brett.
This is the first computer I owned and the last Apple product I owned:
5. Android or iOS? Android for my personal preference. As an instructional leader I use both so I can share and help the teachers and students I work with.
6. If you were going to write a book, what would its title be? Mathematics is Everywhere, All You Have to Do Is Look.
7. What is most picturesque place you've visited? (Extra credit if you share a visual) The Fjords in Norway.
8. What was the last book you read? Teach Like a PIRATE by Dave Burgess
9. The last song you turned up in your car or house was? Walk On by U2
10. Paper or plastic? If I forget my recycled bags I ask for Paper.
11. What is the last book that you passed on to someone else to read? I passed on "The Gifts of Imperfection" by Brene Brown to my sister. It was an end of the year gift from a parent/friend of one of my students.
I am going to invite any/all who read this post to take on the Homework Meme and answer my 11 questions.
1. What are your nicknames? What do you prefer to be called?
2. Do you save old greeting cards and letters? Throw them away?
3. When making an entrance in to a party, do you make your presence known? Do you slip in and look for someone you know? Do you sneak in quietly and find a safe spot to roost?
4. What was the most recent compliment you’ve received and savoured?
5. When was the last time you really pushed yourself to your physical limits?
6. What do you think about more than anything else?
7. What are the top three qualities that draw you to someone new?
8. If you could eliminate one weakness or limitation in your life, what would it be?
9. What’s one thing you’d rather pay someone to do than do yourself? Why?
10. What was the best news you ever received?
11. When do you find yourself singing?
So... Now it is your turn