Just a quick pondering as I watch my son play a video game.
Skyler - "I'm stuck, I'm stuck, I'm stuck...
Dad - "What are you going to do?"
Skyler - "I'm going to figure it out - Mom says it's okay if something is hard because I need to be challenged. I'm unstuck! I made it to the next level!" he exclaimed with confidence.
... and I only died 32 times.
I have a few questions:
- When is education going to stop putting a time limit on learning?
- When will mistakes and failure truly be embraced as learning experiences and growth opportunities?
- When will we look for the little incremental successes within the mistakes and/or failures to help students persevere and keep doing (remember according to Yoda there is no try)?
- How do we provide learning experiences that allow for multiple redos?
- How do we as educators support the students where they are to help move their thinking and understanding forward?
I could go on and on...